Four things that are important keep in mind
- Composing an extensive research paper is an ongoing process, which means you often need to backtrack. It entails patience and time administration.
- Begin pursuit early
- Ask for assistance from the extensive Research Help desk together with scholar Learning Commons
- There’s absolutely no such thing being a question that is stupid!
Understand the project
- Determine the goals and range
- Search for key phrases that describe main tasks when it comes to project
Select an interest that motivates you
- Educate yourself … find something brand brand brand new. Originality does count!
- Defend yourself … justify a posture
- Establish yourself … expand your expertise
Ask an extensive research concern
- A sound research question (why? just exactly how? whenever? let’s say?) will allow you to work toward a great thesis declaration
- Avoid too slim a concern, or perhaps you might not find numerous research sources
Focus/refine your topic
- Break the task into chunks of work (Hint: schedule those chunks to your calendar)
- Review course notes/assigned readings
- Use the Library databases to locate appropriate log articles as well as other resources
- When it comes to database that is best for the topic, ask a librarian or look at research guides for the market.
Identify sources that are appropriate
- Work through the basic into the particular, e.g. find history information first
- For background information – use encyclopaedias, lecture records, textbooks
- For books – search the catalogue
- For articles – search databases suitable for your subject
- A dictionary for a definition – check
- Critically assess that which you have discovered
Begin contemplating a thesis declaration
- A thesis expresses your primary position and forecasts exactly what your paper will discuss
- A solid thesis is debatable, needing supporting evidence ( e.g. pursuit)
- You don’t need certainly to finalize your thesis unless you’ve collected your materials and written a minumum of one draft!
Use the Catalogue to find …
- Publications ( ag e.g. The Hours, by Michael Cunningham) | Films & Music | Reports
- Journals and log articles
Suggestion: In the event that SFU collection doesn’t have actually what you’re shopping for, it is possible to request it online from another collection.
Evaluate exactly exactly what you go to site have got found
- Discovered sources that are too many? You may need certainly to narrow your subject
- Discovered sources that are too few? Broaden your subject or select other appropriate keywords
- Select scholarly journals over popular publications
- Are your sources relevant? Biased? Too old?
- May be the information you available on Bing from a source that is reliable?
Sound right of the research sources
- Utilize words that are key allow you to arrange your materials logically
- Refine your thesis statement predicated on research materials
- Create a “working” outline to reflect your proof and purchase of presentation
- Draft your paper predicated on this plan of action
Revise your draft
- Search for coherence …the overall “connectedness” of ideas; paragraph unity
- Look for cohesion … logical connections between sentences
- Check always your design … is the tone right for your market? Will be your wording clear and succinct? Are you currently properly utilizing terms and ideas in your control?
- Search for common mistakes. Hint: print out your draft and get through it line by line, and/or see clearly aloud.
Cite your sources
- Avoid plagiarism: use the tutorial that is self-directed
- Utilize one of several citation that is standard: APA, MLA or Chicago; consult your trainer if you’re unsure which to use. The Library has guides for every single.
- Record your entire citations while you get. You’ll be happy you did whenever right time comes to create a bibliography!
In the event that you have stuck . . .
- Ask a librarian in the desk, by phone, email, or real time talk.
- Take a look at Library Research Skills guide
If you’d like help along with your writing procedure . . .
- Look at the Student Learning Commons for resources, recommendations, and assistance that is one-on-one a Peer Educator
- Subscribe to a workshop that is free
See additionally: The Assignment Calculator, a period administration device to assist you break up your assignments that are writing a variety of actions.